opening large access-log files

by Roxy <4Roxy(at)autumnweb.com>

 Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 2000 12:44:52 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

I hope someone else on this list has large access-log files and can open them.

Mine, from last week, is 81,847kb and I have not found anything that will
allow me to open it and edit it. IF the program will let me open it (Word)
when I start to edit it, it crashes. Notepad won't even open it, same with
Edit Pad, Text Pad and a few other Notepad-like programs. After a short
period of time, I can tell it stopped. Ctrl-Alt-Delete shows "*program* not
responding".

Using a KMD6/333 and 256 sdram memory.

If you're curious as to why I need to edit the access-log, I run a stats
program for the month's log files, 1st to 30/31st. So, have to edit the log
files to have only the month's dates in them. My web server's log files run
Sun-Sat, so at the end of every month, the "dates" need to be separated,
put in different folders for running the different month's stats program.

Any helpful ideas on what will open a large text file?

Thanks, Roxanne
Autumn Web  ~ http://autumnweb.com/
Not just putting your business on the Web,
Promoting your business on the Web!