Re: Web Statistics Packages

by Roxy <4Roxy(at)autumnweb.com>

 Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 2000 19:27:12 -0500
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>I am in the market for a web statistics package.
>
>One important thing I would like to is to be able to pinpoint a file and
>get some stats back on that file.  For example I have some real audio
>files on my server.  I want to be able to tell how many hits that
>particular file has.
>
>The only package I know that's out there is Webtrends.  I'd like to get a
>list of other packages that y'all are using so I may research them.  Your
>comments about these packages are also welcome.

I run Fast Stats log-file analyzer on the log files, it gives me great
information and works very quickly. Have used it about a year now.

I understand the reports look a little different than WebTrends, but, I
really like the info output it has. I use the "chart" output rather than
the "graphic" output, it's what I prefer, but you have a choice. Choice of
HTML (you can upload them for your clients to view), MS Excel, or MS Word97
formats.

I have a client with RA files, and it tells me exactly the number of times
those files were accessed. That area of the report is separate from the
other files (html, images, etc) ... so it doesn't "get lost" in the report.
It will also tell you how many times the cgi/forms script was accessed, the
robots.txt file (by SE robots) and also the favicon.ico file (IE5 users
bookmarking the site). Handy stuff to know about :-)

That's all part of it's "regular" info output. There is also ways to track
specific html or image files, but I haven't had to use that, so not real
familiar with the how-to for it, but the help files for every part of the
report should have that info.

They have a 30 day free trial, so it can't hurt anything to try it!
http://mach5.com/products/faststats/index.html
site has a features comparison and a sample report.
BTW, it is 1/5 the price of WT ...

I'm also an affiliate, but the above link is NOT my affiliate link. If you
want it, ask :-)

If anyone wants to see a copy of the Word report for one of my clients let
me know, I can send it to you direct. It is edited, removed info the client
didn't want to have - like bandwidth use (he doesn't care, as long as it's
within host's limits) and most accessed images (he doesn't care about that,
either). I have his permission, but it is not the same client that has the
RA files. Oh, and I don't use macros in my Word files ... so no worry on
that :-) I have converted the Word document to PDF format, too, if one is
more comfortable with that. Just let me know which format you would want, okay?

Roxanne
rmflanagan(at)autumnweb.com
Autumn Web  ~ http://autumnweb.com/
Not just putting your business on the Web,
Promoting your business on the Web!