Re: ASP Cookies vs. ASP Session variables

by Lara Fabans <lara(at)flashcom.net>

 Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 2000 21:18:56 -0800
 To:  "Rasika Wijayaratne" <rasika(at)boursedata.com.au>,
"HWG-Gen" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I'm going to go for a SWAG at the moment.
Wouldn't you want cookies for automatic logging in,
but session variables for personalizations/tracking/
shopping carts/etc.

So, I'd have a cookie that I'm KippyJ on www.hithere.com,
and it would automatically log me in. The ASP file would
detect the cookie, and do a session that would look me
up in the database, and every page would have
Welcome, KippyJ!
(if you're not KippyJ, click here)

And from what I understand in my reading & research, the
session variables are better performance-wise for the
main implementation stuff.

Lara