Re: Table oddities (was inexpensive wysiwyg)

by Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:27:01 -0600
 To:  lee <lee(at)imyourhandiman.com>,
<hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:48 AM 2/19/01 -0800, lee wrote:
>i'm having some minor trouble with my site's MIDDLE table in IE5.0 in
>windows.....
>
>in windows in IE the center table is forcing the text to one word per
>line..is this
>a CSS errror? i can't find anywhere else..
>
>( site is NOT complete URL wize I realize :) and yes needs some overall
>polishing )
>
>http://www.imyourhandiman.com

Lee,

Your question was pretty well buried in your response, so I'm going to take
a guess that many folks missed it altogether.

I just looked at the main page -- that's one of the stranger things on the
web, when IE misbehaves instead of the usual NN woes.

Whenever I'm stumped, I turn to the validator: http://validator.w3.org/.
You've got several of what I call minor errors -- scripts aren't completely
tagged with *type* and so forth, but those don't or shouldn't interfere
with rendering. One of the biggest things I saw was the marginheight tag --
you have margins defined in your CSS and also in your body tag. For one
thing, you'll need to double-check how to properly set that style. Then, go
back over your style sheet and make sure /nothing/ is duplicated in the
body tag or any tags in the body of the document. IE will choke if it sees
one declaration in the style sheet and another attribute declared later.

I discovered this with background images -- NN does not necessarily like
CSS, so I thought I would put the purty pitcher in there for most, and a
nice color in the body tag for NN -- nope, no go. IE just choked since I
was *overriding* the CSS defined background image with a color declared in
the body tag.

Try putting the CSS in an external sheet. How does the page look /without/
the CSS?? Now, add the link to the external file. Then, start removing
duplicate attributes that have different properties. If you're trying to
override NN's persnickitieness, then if you duplicate the attribute, use
the exact same property in both places.

Or, how nasty does it get in NN if you remove attributes from the body tag
and just go straight CSS? I'm not real swift at JavaScript, but you may
want to take a look at some of the js files too. Sometimes they can
conflict with each other and cause some serious hair-pulling.

Good luck!
~Tamara