Re: finding unused files

by Roxanne Flanagan <hwg-rmf(at)autumnweb.com>

 Date:  Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:13:53 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:11 PM 6/19/01 , you wrote:

>I've been working on our corporate internet site for quite a while now, and
>I know there are "orphan" files out there that are no longer being used,
>despite my most diligent attempts to clean them up.
>
>I'm looking for a shareware/freeware utility that will - I guess - "spider"
>my site and ferret out the orphans.

There is a donation-ware utility that will spider your site, give you a
list of all your files (graphics, htm/html, pdf, etc), then you can delete
the unused ones. It's a great program to find broken links, too!

http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

When you run it, it will show one screen with a lot of green text. Then it
will spit out a report in HTML format, it will open it in a new window. You
can go back to that green text report, go to "file" then "export as tab
separated file". Open it in a word processing program or open it in Excel.
Delete the extra columns of info you don't need, and just print out (or
check that screen) to check against your files on your server. It also
gives a great site tree in the HTML report that you can use on your site.

HTH,
Roxanne Flanagan * -- * Autumn Web
http://autumnweb.com/
Not just putting your business on the Web,
Promoting your business on the Web!