Re: Relational Databases

by Dave Gorjup <dgorjup(at)mediaone.net>

 Date:  Thu, 06 Apr 2000 21:21:36 -0400
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Brian,
I beg to differ, in a nice way of course. PWS takes all of about 10 minutes
to load and setup and begin serving web pages on a Win98 machine. It really
doesn't have much of anything to configure, especially on a standalone
machine. If one is a rookie, "stress rookie", to unix and web servers,
Unix/Apache can be a very stressful to figure out.

I feel PWS is an excellent tool for learning and proof of concept work. I
have to do lots of learning on my home network (no time at work) and with a
little care, most of the work can be transferred to my office machines.
(One of my home machines is a Linux machine, btw)

One thing I absolutely agree with you about is the big $$ commercial
product cost on the Win platforms when you have to scale up. Unfortunately
many of us are locked into that by corporate decree, especially those of us
who do mostly intranet stuff.

In addition, and I may be wrong, I don't believe ColdFusion Express is
available for anything but Windows, so at home I mostly use PWS.
Regards,
Dave G.