Re: Netscape/CSS/Tables

by Nathan Lyle <natlyle(at)nmu.edu>

 Date:  Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:19:44 -0500
 To:  Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>
 Cc:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

>One of the things I do when checking load times is run the url through
>http://www.cast.org/Bobby/

Thanks for the URL... I do need to do more checking (including spelling)...
<grin>

>Along with its well-known accesibility tools, down at the bottom it will
>estimate download time on a 28,800 modem. This has been a huge help to me.

That makes sense.

>http://www.nmu.edu/cj/faculty_and_staff/ -- took forever to load tonight on
>my 49k connection, Win95, Netscape 4.5 --

IE seems to not have a problem, but N4.5 is what I have at work where I've
worked on the site and noticed the problem, too.

>now that's interesting, running this page through Bobby just crashed my NN
>4.5. Hmmm . . .

I'm afraid to go try it.... :)

>Great -- my connection just crapped out too, I can't get your pages in IE
>either -- anyway, I'm really confused -- how can you be using CSS if you're
>putting style attributes in the td tags?

Well, it's not pure, I realize that. I'm switching over and haven't gotten
rid of all my habitual HTML twitches yet. :)

>put the attributes in your css and then use their class names in the td
>Otherwise, you're making the browser, any browser, read each td
>align="center" bg-color="purple" and on the one page anyway, you've got a
>lot of cells. Anytime you're repeating and repeating and repeating a style,
>go ahead and declare it once in the CSS either at the top of the page or in
>an external file so the browser only has to read it once.

I'm wondering if that with the background image for the cells is a big part
of the slow-down. I'm going to try finishing the switch to the style sheet
instead of mixing and see how that works.... hopefully that's the answer.

>(hope my connection lives on long enough to send this . . . )

Seems to have. :)