Re: textarea wrapping

by KeithWBell(at)aol.com

 Date:  Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:40:01 EDT
 To:  ssegarra(at)mitre.org,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
In a message dated 05/06/00 16:00:49 GMT Daylight Time, ssegarra(at)mitre.org
writes:

> Is there an attribute to set so that the text a user inputs into a
>  textarea wraps?  I looked at the 4.0 specification for textareas, but I
>  didn't see anything.

Steve, whether text entered into TEXTAREA boxes wraps or not depends on the
browser, and indeed that fits with the HTML 4.01 spec which says (from clause
17.7, relating to the COLS attribute):

"User agents may wrap visible text lines to keep long lines visible without
the need for scrolling."

Note the word "MAY" - not "must" or "shall". So some browsers do wrap, others
don't. I don't know of any way to force wrapping in a browser that doesn't.

Regards
Keith Bell