Re: Netscape 6 - mouseover test

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:07:23 +1100
 To:  Peter-Paul Koch <gassinaumasis(at)hotmail.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 19:28 27/11/00 +0000, Peter-Paul Koch wrote:
>OK, as most of you will have heard Netscape 6 has severe problems with
>pre-loaded mouseovers. I've done a first test and I have no idea what to
>make of the results.

I haven't installed NN6 yet, but a quick look at your code shows some
anti-Netscape coding practices.

In my experience, Netscape generally doesn't preload images correctly when
the preloading SCRIPTS are located in the HEAD of the document!!  The HEAD
is fine for reusable functions but not reusable images - makes a weird sort
of sense when you consider the HEAD is for metadata, not presentational
stuff.  Perhaps that's the logic of the Netscape rendering engine.

Shift the preloading script to the BODY and see if the problems persist.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au