Re: Minimum age law for internet purchases

by Bennett Haselton <bennett(at)peacefire.org>

 Date:  Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:55:57 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I don't know about a law restricting on-line purchases, but there is a
federal law called COPPA (the "Children's Online Privacy Protection Act")
which prohibits collection of *personal data* from visitors under 13 (not
14).  You can do it under some circumstances, but the requirements are so
draconian (getting a faxed signature from a parent) that I've never seen
any site which goes along with all of them; most of them simply say they
don't allow people under 13 to register for their services.

COPPA is not to be confused with COPA, the "Child Online Protection Act",
an anti-Internet-pornography law which was successfully challenged in court
by the ACLU.  COPPA has not been challenged in court.  Personally I think
it's a joke (legislation passed in response to media frenzy over Internet
privacy, while designed not to impede companies from collecting data about
paying customers), but some sites have been fined for violating it.

I haven't heard of a separate law against under-14-year-olds making
purchases online, although they'd presumably have to have a minor's credit
card or other method of making payments online, all of which require
parental permission and (I think) let parents review your purchases.

         -Bennett

At 11:35 AM 9/12/2001 -0700, Rebecca Campbell wrote:
>I've heard that there's new legislation prohibiting anyone under the age
>of
>14 from making on-line purchases.  Does anybody know what we have to do to
>make sure e-commerce sites comply with the new laws?
>
>tia,
>rebecca
>http://www.nerdygirl.com

bennett(at)peacefire.org     http://www.peacefire.org