Re: ISP Privacy - does your isp do this???

by Bennett Haselton <bennett(at)peacefire.org>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Sep 2001 02:34:47 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think you're right, it's outrageous -- I've never heard of any ISP having
such a clause in their TOS.  My DSL provider, Speakeasy, says exactly the
opposite in their TOS and privacy policy:
	http://www.speakeasy.net/main.php?page=res_dsltos
	http://www.speakeasy.net/main.php?page=res_dslprivacy

I read your entire message before seeing that you're in Australia.  I don't
know if the blanket disclosure problem is more common in Australia,
although at least one big ISP says they don't do it:
	http://telstra.com/res/docs/privacy.asp

What ISP are you using?

	-Bennett

At 04:09 PM 9/25/2001 +1000, Mike Kear wrote:
My ISP has asked everyone to agree to a new terms and conditions statement,
that seems to permit them to do anything they like with my private
information.  Here are the clauses that concern me:

[quote]
14.2 Company may collect, store, transfer and/or disclose to
third  parties, for any purpose (including where required by a
credit  reference provider or any Law), any information or data
(whether  confidential or not) relating to Customer's registration to
the  Service, use of the Service or this Agreement including data.

14.3 Upon written request by Customer, Company must notify Customer of any
data or information collected, stored, transferred and/or disclosed by it
to a third party.
[/quote]

If I'm reading this right, they can disclose any details in the
registration data they have (name address, phone numbers, my age,
occupation, credit card details, bank account details, computer type) to
anyone they like.  I have no right to refuse, and they don't have to
disclose to me they've done it unless I ask in writing.

I think this is outrageous but they say it's "quite normal" amongst ISPs.

Is it?  Have any of you guys been asked to agree to this kind of blank
cheque?

Cheers,
Mike Kear
AFP Webworks