Re: hand-coding vrs WYSWYG

by Stephen Johnston <pepe(at)gainsay.com>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:19:00 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:12 PM 12/13/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>"The real mistake in using a WYSIWYG is never dropping to the code.
>Most people look at WYSIWYG users and say the WYSIWYG creates bad code.
>However, with the advent of WYSIWYGS that don't force you to allow your
>code to be mangled like Frontpage did, it is really the coders fault.  You
>have to know both, in order to really create professional pages. Otherwise,
>you will eventually run up against something hard that, if you knew more
>hand HTML, would be real easy."
>
>As a FP2000 user I would have to agree and disagree. Obviously you have not
>read in any of the posts, that you can bring in your own editors to the
>program??

         Just so you know. I used the past tense that Frontpage "...did." I
was trying to exclude the most recent version without being too pedantic
and wordy.

>As a Dreamweaver trialler, I can find a lot of fault with a program with so
>many bells and whistles that you have to attend class to use it.

         I seriously doubt that many of the people who are using and
enjoying DW have attended any classes.

>The fact remains, that the ability to hand code and hard code is a
>necessity.  I agree that it is nice to tweak and peak, but I am still
>debating working on a site, as I have stated, that is absolutely gorgeous in
>its entire HAND CODE-so much so that I feel that no matter what I use, it
>will never have the justice it deserves.

         I leave it up to other people to romanticize their work
unnecessarily. I would, politely (I hope), recommend you do the same. I
code in order to provide value to a client. I do not see any sense in
trying to adhere to an aesthetic that does not forward that cause. If you
feel that the code being gorgeous will get them more sales (for example)
then it sounds good to me. That is your value judgement and in the end you
must justify that to your client and yourself.
         Another way to look at it is this: If you are a good developer,
would you rather take the work on and deal with the gorgeous hand-code or
run the risk of some hack mangling it?
         In the end, I think we can all agree that you certainly need to
know the hand coding. However 'Vive-Le-Wysiwyg'. (or something)

-Stephen Johnston