Re: UltraDev 4

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Sat, 16 Dec 2000 12:10:51 -0500
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:22 AM 16/12/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear St=E9phane and other list members,
>
>I use Homesite 4.5 and Dreamweaver 3.  I'm wanting to upgrade to=20
>Dreamweaver 4 but have also been looking at the ASP and database=20
>capabilities of UltraDev 4.  I would love to have some comments from those=
=20
>who use it or have tried it.  Are the added capabilities worth the extra=20
>money?  The limited version of 4 is not available as yet so I've not seen=
=20
>it work.

Hi Cliff,

I think that you will love DW 4 and I think that UltraDev is worth the=20
extra money.  The trial version should be out any day now but I've been=20
using it for over a week now and I'm very impressed with the new=20
features.  Macromedia has addressed many issues of UD 1 in UD 4 and it's a=
=20
charm to use.  Any existing sites will be imported into UD 4 on install so=
=20
you won't have to transfer them.  The database connectivity aspects are=20
very well implemented and work without a glitch on my system.  Also, very=20
few Web application development packages offer the choice to work with 3=20
different technologies like UD does (ASP, JSP and Cold Fusion).  UD also=20
include a great new feature called the Server Behavior Builder with which=20
you can build reusable server behaviors with snippets of code you=20
write.  Many users are also contributing extensions to enhance UD's=20
functionality.  Until the trial comes out I'd recommend looking carefully=20
at the complete list of features and the list of new features for both DW 4=
=20
and DW UD 4 and that should give you a very good idea of how it can better=
=20
help your work flow.  I agree with Jeff's comments and he should be happy=20
to know that the code UD 4 produces has been improved and the way it=20
handles connection strings is a lot better.  It now uses includes and it's=
=20
very easy to use DSN-less connections.  Recordsets created in UD 1 will be=
=20
updated automatically when you open them from the Server Behaviors panel=20
and they are marked as *previous version* until you do.  I really think=20
it's an awesome upgrade.

If you do any graphic design I strongly recommend that you look into=20
getting the Dreamweaver UltraDev 4 Fireworks 4 Studio as Fireworks 4 is=20
also much improved and equally impressive.  I haven't touched Photoshop=20
except on rare occasions for over a year while I used FW 3 and FW 4 has a=20
lot of new functionality and is even easier to use.  The integration=20
between FW and DW (UD) is amazing.

HTH!

St=E9phane Bergeron