Re: RE: ISP Questions

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?St=E9phane?= Bergeron <stephberg(at)videotron.ca>

 Date:  Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:14:13 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:19 2001-06-20 -0400, you wrote:
>Cable and DSL were the same price in my area, and being one that's set up
>DSU/CSUs and routers and whatnot, DSL is a piece of cake.

Cable was a bit cheaper in my area (a small town 30 miles outside of=20
Montreal, QC) but the choice was easy for me as DSL service didn't reach my=
=20
neighborhood while cable did.

>  Actually, the DSL
>modem was sent to me for my own installation, something I greatly=20
>appreciate.
>And it worked, out of the box with almost no setup involved.  The cable
>company required that they send a technician into my house to install their
>modem, something that would've taken me 5 minutes, which took him an hour.
>And after he left, I reconfigured it to work on my network anyway.  :) =
 (Their
>contract also specifies that only one computer may be connected to the
>Internet at one time...please)

We have the same type of contract here except the tech spent less than 45=20
mins in my house and that included installing a network card in my machine=
=20
which it didn't have before... ;-)

>The real draw I had to DSL was the static IP address and hosting=20
>ability.  This
>was something that cable wasn't willing to provide.

Why not?  Mine is a static IP address since my connection is permanent.

>And my cable *was*
>subject to neighborhood slowdowns...no fiber for me it seems.  Not saying
>DSL is perfect, but it's been more flexible.  And it gives me the=
 opportunity
>to hook up to a few different service providers if necessary where I'm=
 stuck
>with the one cable company in town, had I kept it.  And you *know* how=
 cable
>companies are.  There was a *lot* of downtime and just general flakiness=
 with
>my cable connection.  I'm not attributing this to the technology, but the
>boneheads that were integrating the technology.

My cable connection has both been consistent speedwise and very=20
reliable.  The service went down 3 or 4 times I think in nearly 4 years and=
=20
the only time when it took more than an hour to come back was after a=20
thunderstorm.  It took 8 or 10 hours for the service to come back=20
then.  Really the only gripe I have with my cable connection is the 127K=20
speed limit on upload but I can live with it and would never go back to=20
dial up...

St=E9phane Bergeron