Re: Problems with NN 4.7

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:27:26 +0000
 To:  "Write Words" <webwriting(at)hotmail.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

My version of the page is at http://aamcf.co.uk/temp/dorreen.html

>http://www.web.triton.net/w/writewords/cost_aboutme.html

My version: http://aamcf.co.uk/temp/cost_aboutme.html

There were a few things I tried, but I think the problem was in the CSS.

In the versions above, only the CSS has been changed.

You had:

img.left{border-style:none;float:left;margin-right:.10in;}

img {border-style:none;padding:5px;}

I changed that to:

img.left{border-style:none;margin-right:.10in;}

img {border-style:none}

Netscape 4 has difficulties with floating and padding, which is what seemed
to be causing the problems.

I'm a bit tired right now, so I'll explain my troubleshooting technique
later on :-)

It's worth running your html and CSS through the W3 validators, BTW, and
add more whitespace to the CSS. This makes the file easier to read, and
doesn't add significantly to download times.

Andrew