Re: XHTML Conversion

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:04:54 +0000
 To:  thewolves(at)bigfoot.com,
"Kehvan M. Zydhek" <kehvan(at)zydhek.net>
 Cc:  HWG Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:34 20/02/02 -0800, Larry Coats wrote:

>I can't understand why W3C is so anxious to get rid of the NAME attribute
>from IMG and FORM tags.

NAME doesn't fit with the document object model. For example, using NAME
you can write over preexisting objects by giving them an inappropriate
name, like this:

<.div name="forms">

This is bad, and you can't do it with ID.

>  Newer browsers can work with ID instead of NAME in the IMG tag (not sure
> about FORM), but Netscape 3 & 4 and some others (probably at least some
> Opera versions and maybe even IE 4) will not.
<snip/>

That's what the transitional DTD is for :-)

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/