Re: Using XHTML Strict Reference material

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:51:54 +0000
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:59 27/02/02 -0800, Kehvan M. Zydhek wrote:
>Your collection is quite nice, and a definite help for those of us just
>beginning the journey down the path of XHTML-compliance.

Thanks.

>I have a suggestion regarding the STRICT removal of target (at least
>target="_blank") from anchors...
<snip/>

I'm not keen on this. Getting any sort of JavaScript new window
functionality is tricky, and in general is a barrier to usability. Its
depressingly common for clients (ie the people that pay us, not the kind of
client that talks to a server) to want all external links to open in a new
window. I feel it is better to say at the top of a links page "To open
these links in a new window blah blah blah" rather than forcing a new
window on the user. That way you give the user the choice, and you are also
educating the user about how to use their browser, thus making the world a
slightly better place :-)

Andrew