Re: CSS replacing tables for format

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:32:31 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:29 24/04/02 -0700, Collette McNeill wrote:

>My favorite use of a table for layout is this:  a single cell, fixed
>width, centered on the browser window.  How can I accomplish this in CSS,
>without using table tags?

Depends on what you mean by `centered'. Horizontal centering is easy, as
others have pointed out. Vertical centering isn't so trivial. There is no
neat way to do it (but it is actually very rarely what you actually want
anyway), and the height="100%" in tables was a hack that accidently worked
in some browsers.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/