Re: what's a search engine? was: no-margin settings and validation

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 21 May 2002 22:55:57 +0100
 To:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 09:40 21/05/02 -0700, Paul Wilson wrote:
>I don't think so.  I just did a search at Yahoo on the search box for the
>term "waterbed" and did the same at Google and the results are totally
>different.

A search on Yahoo actually goes through two databases[1]. The first is the
Yahoo directory. Results from this are displayed under "Web Sites". The
second search is through the Google database, and results from this are
displayed under "Web Pages".

If you search for something that doesn't appear in the Yahoo directory it
automatically displays the "Web pages" results first.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/

[1] As well as searching through category titles and the like.