Re: .Biz domains - what are the issues?

by "Judith C. Kallos" <webmaster(at)theistudio.com>

 Date:  Thu, 06 Sep 2001 11:25:17 -0700
 To:  "Mike Kear" <choicemag(at)hotmail.com>,
hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hey, Mike!  ;-)

At 01:48 PM 9/6/01 +1000, Mike Kear wrote:
><snip>
>
>What do you think needs to be considered about pre-registering .biz or
>.shop or whatever domains?

I think it should be seriously considered by folks serious about there
business. (Also, as you know, since this is really a business issue not a
techniques issue, you would get a legal viewpoint on this, which is very
important, by posting to the Business list.)

>Here's what I've listed so far .....
>
>(1) .biz domains are global, so when you've got a name you've got it
>worldwide, whereas .com, .co.nz, .com.au, .co.uk etc aren't.

That is one good reason.  Although I tend to look at any "dot" as global if
marketed properly.

>(2)  If you don't pre-register your name in the .biz domain, someone else
>can end up taking your name.

That could happen but only succeed if you have not formally trademarked or
protected your online identity legally.

>This might or might not be a problem depending on how important the .biz
>domains become.   Do you guys think that these new domains will ultimately
>be as important as the .com domains?

Here is how I have always looked at domains and advise my clients the
same.  When it comes to any of my business ventures I buy any dot com that
can be used to compete with me or maybe used to sound/look/confuse folks to
thinking we are in someway associated.  Best I just own them and not have
to deal with the potential of that situation.

Therefore, I have preregistered by main concerns and will probably own
several others when all is said and done just to avoid someone else having
them.  I consider it a cost of doing business.

>(3) If you don't pre-register your name you could find your own domain
>owned by an opportunist who will hold your name to ransom until you buy it
>from him at whatever price he wants.

That too /could/ happen, but from what I understand squatting or buying
simply to try and get ransom out of someone has become more
difficult.  However, if you are running a real business, you really should
take the legal steps to protect your business identity.  I have a certain
dot com that is similar to one of mine that has changed hands 3 times -
with all three targeting me to try and up for the money.  I won't pay and
they own the name but don't know what to do with it.

>(4) If you have high traffic, someone else could use your name in one of
>these new tlds  and use it to drive traffic to their site, parasitically.
>So you could end up with your customers being directed to a porn site or
>anything.  And all at your cost.

Yepper -  I am surprised almost daily at some of the stuff I run
into.  Hence, just buy your .biz and as they say here in Chicago -
"foe-ged-abowd-it".  ;-)

Another point is that this is a game of the best marketer wins.  So, even
though I do buy up my "dots" and will continue to do so, I also know that
most likely the type of person who would try to mess with me in that manner
would have to out market me to get more exposure....... good luck.

>(4) Compared to the potential cost of having your name held to ransom or
>used by a competitor or even a porn site the cost of the new domains are
>chickenfeed.

See, great minds /do/ think alike!

>Is there anything else that needs to be taken into consideration?

Other than making sure you are working with a reputable here today, here
tomorrow registrar to insure you lock up your names you have all the basis
covered.  Other than that, the only resistance I run into from clients is
the chickenfeed aspect which to me is well worth it to avoid the potential
headaches.

/j