RE: Minimum age law for internet purchases

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Fri, 14 Sep 2001 08:00:39 -0700
 To:  Mikael =?iso-8859-1?Q?Bystr=F6m?= <sunergy(at)mac.com>,
"hwg tech" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

There is a difference as to what actually occurs and whether that=20
occurrence is legal.

If your child uses your credit card in a store without your=20
knowledge/permission and the store accepts it, the transaction is=20
invalid.  That stores regularly allow this to happen is a different issue,=
=20
especially if nothing is done about it.

It seems to me that if you accept credit transactions on your web site, and=
=20
you do not have something which says, to the effect, "Are you the legal=20
owner of this credit instrument or authorized to use this instrument upon=20
another's behalf?" you may open yourself up to serious problems, if and=20
when someone may decide to push the issue with you at some future date.