RE: Client woes..

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Mon, 22 Oct 2001 22:19:51 -0700
 To:  "HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  <mkear(at)afpwebworks.com>, "Ben Russo" <i.am.ben(at)sympatico.ca>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Mike,

You are correct.

Copyright law varies from country to country, just as enforcement varies
among the countries.  Generally speaking, (Disclaimer - I am not a lawyer.)
the Australian and USA intent of the law is the same - once something is
created, it is protected by copyright.

However, in the USA if you wish to protect your work, you must display the
copyright symbol and register your work before you can effect an action
against infringement.  You also stand a better chance to recover damages,
and greater damages, against an infringer if you register your copyright as
soon as possible.

Yeah, so, what good does it do on the Internet because so many rip off the
works of others all the time?  Is it worth the effort?

Well, if you publish a work without a copyright notice, you effectively
give up all your rights from the getgo.  If someone sees your work, and
finds no copyright notice, it's fair game from them to steal it, publish it
and copyright it, ... and you are out of luck.  It's even possible for them
to sue *you* for copyright infringement, and win, because you took no steps
to protect your own work.  If someone thinks their creativity is not even
worth protecting via the display of the copyright, perhaps they deserve
such an insult.

Dennis