Re: site management in dreamweaver?

by Kukla Fran and Ollie <weblists2001(at)yahoo.com>

 Date:  Wed, 21 Nov 2001 20:06:26 -0800
 To:  "'hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org'" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  Dane Robison <dane(at)strategic-design.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
We used DW the same way you do.  Well, almost the same.

1.  All our work was maintained on the development server (same as you).
2.  Everyone on the team was responsible for maintaining their local copies
in synch with the dev server (same as you).
3.  When it came time to upload to the production server, it was done by
using command line instructions to merely copy from the dev server to the
prod server.

A.  At no time did anyone have DW access to both the dev server and the
prod server.  *Everything* was done with the dev server.
B.  Uploading from the dev server to the prod server was the responsibility
of one person.   There were no exceptions to this.  (When we automated the
process, only those files which had been changed were uploaded.)

In many ways it comes down to people management.  We eliminated errors by
assigning specific tasks to specific people.  While we did cross-train (to
account for illness, vacation, people leaving, etc.), any deviation from
the SOP required mgmt approval.  Again, no exceptions to the SOP.

Sounds draconian?  Yes.  Any failures?  Never.  Did everyone agree to the
process?  Yes.  What if they didn't agree?  They didn't work for us.  :)