Re: MSSmartTagsPreventParsing

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Sun, 21 Apr 2002 18:42:09 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  "Nancy J. Foster" <nancyf(at)quillandmouse.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
No.  My information is correct: the released IE6 does not implement SmartTags.

On the other hand, Office XP does implement them: perhaps this was a factor
with your client?

Or perhaps, somehow, something had set the registry to activate
SmartTags?  Is this possible?  I don't know.

Or perhaps your client had installed the final IE6 on top of a beta?

> > Smart tags were implemented in betas of IE 6, but NOT in the final,
> > released version of IE 6 that people are using today.  So the META tags are
> > not necessary ...... <snip>
>
>This isn't necessarily so. I had a client we built a website for who
>called me up to ask why the site we were building for him had links on
>MasterCard that took the viewer somewhere else. Naturally, we didn't
>have the links there -- his browser added smart tags. I, too, had
>thought we'd be safe for now, but the client was running a _released_
>version of IE, _not_ a beta version. So don't assume the metatag isn't
>needed!!

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)upsdell.com