Re: A web designer's job?

by Robin Liston <rliston(at)cox.net>

 Date:  Tue, 30 Jul 2002 19:22:26 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think that remark from the client's friend was grossly unfair since a lot of
people don't actually buy software until the need arises.

Having said that I certainly consider the Adobe
Acrobat software suite an invaluable tool in my web
designer's toolbox.

Adobe does have a service that allows you to create
PDF files on-line at https://createpdf.adobe.com/
but it may be too limited for an entire catalog. I've
never used the service myself.

If you're a student you should be able to pick up the
software for around $50, if you're not you could save
some money by buying it on eBay.

In any case, you should be able to write off the
software purchase on your taxes as a business expense.

--- Lonna Poland <lonna(at)granbury.com> wrote:
 > I have a client who wanted to put his catalog online
 > in PDF format.
 > He asked me about it and I gave him information
 > about several software
 > programs that would create the files for him, and
 > that I would be
 > happy to put them on his web site once they were
 > created.  Later I
 > found out that his friend was very critical of me,
 > saying that if I
 > had been a "professional" web designer, I would have
 > had the software
 > to do this for him, hence I was a poor web designer.
 >
 > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was the
 > web designer's job
 > to design the backgrounds, navigation buttons/bars,
 > and adjust/resize
 > pictures to put on a web site, do the layout and
 > functionality of the
 > web site, etc., to make it work properly for the
 > intention for which
 > it was created.  For this I have all the proper
 > software and I have
 > many happy clients.  Is it my job to also have the
 > PDF software to put
 > catalogs into PDF format, or is this the job of a
 > graphics art
 > designer or the client himself?
 >
 > Just curious.... thanks,
 > Lonna

=====
Attention Web Designers and JavaScript, VBScript, and ASP Programmers:
Buy your career related T-Shirts, Coffee Mugs, and Mousepads at
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/store.aspx?storeid=utccom,utccom2,utccom3,utccom4

http://health.yahoo.com