Re: Unmine-able email?

by Charles A Upsdell <cupsdell(at)upsdell.com>

 Date:  Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:35:12 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
 Cc:  joanne grey <j_grey(at)writeangles.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
If you don't want spammers to get your email addresses, you have to keep
the email addresses out of the code altogether.  Nothing else is secure.

E.g. I use Matt's formmail.pl procedure, which I have modified so that,
instead of putting email addresses in the HTML, I put codes which my
modified formmail.pl procedure maps to email addresses.  For example, the
code 'wm' is mapped by the formmail.pl procedure to my webmaster email address.

A secondary advantage of this technique is that it becomes impossible for
spammers to use the formmail.pl procedure as a relay: formmail.pl will no
longer accept email addresses as a parameter.

At 04:26 PM 04/15/03, you wrote:
>I've puzzled through this, and am lost. Here's what I want to do. I
>want to use an image (rather than text) to display an email address, but I
>don't want to use the standard email address in the href.
>
>Before, I've used Javascript to concatenate an email address, but only in
>plain text.
>
>Is there a way to combine the two, or an entirely different method? Can
>some kind soul point me in the right direction?

-
Chuck Upsdell
Email:     cupsdell(at)upsdell.com
Website:   http://www.upsdell.com/