Re: Identify person from e-mail address?

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:02:32 +0100
 To:  HWG-Techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 20:10 13/10/02 -0400, Mamie Woo wrote:
>One of my clients has asked me to find out if there is some way that
>people can identify his "real e-mail address" if we set up an e-mail alias
>(e.g., info(at)abc.com or support(at)xyz.org) on his web site.  That made me
>wonder if there was such a service:  where one could enter an e-mail
>address and get the result of who own the e-mail address.  Does anyone know?

It can't be done. The best you could hope for is finding out who owns the
domain. You may then be able to do some detective work to find out more
about the domain owner, but you certainly couldn't find out who owned the
e-mail address.

Trivial proof: I have at least 1 e-mail address that is associated with me
only via the sendmail configuration on my mailserver. That configuration is
not accessible to the public.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/