Re: Netscape 7 stuff again (Sort of OT)

by Al Sessions <al(at)oldforgefd.org>

 Date:  Tue, 02 Jul 2002 14:55:45 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 11:51 AM 7/2/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, the charm is coming off of Netscape 7. I just got hooked up with
>cable Internet, and now Netscape 7 won't recognize the cable as the SMTP
>server. I run several e-mail accounts off of one profile, and, unlike the
>Microsoft e-mails, it defaults to just one SMTP, no matter what the
>account. *Sigh*. Outlook Express had no trouble recognizing Charter as the
>SMTP server. So, back to Outlook with all my messages........unless
>someone has a suggestion? I don't think Netscape mail is recognizing the
>LAN connection.

I haven't tried this and will avoid the temptation to step on the 'OE sucks
and no sane person would use it' soapbox, except to say that OE sucks and I
can't imagine why any sane person would use it. Outlook is just as bad, if
not worse.

Several good (meaning more powerful filtering, better security, better
support for multiple accounts, and increased server-side options)
alternatives would be:

Eudora- (http://eudora.com/) still free if you can tolerate a relatively
unobtrusive ad.

The Bat- (http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/) sophisticated scriptability and
filtering, fairly complex, but probably the most versatile Windows email
app out there.

PocoMail- (http://www.pocomail.com/) very secure out of the box, good built
in spam blockers and skinnable.

I've used all three extensively but tend to drift back to Eudora.