Re: Email question

by Al Sessions <al(at)oldforgefd.org>

 Date:  Fri, 09 Aug 2002 16:09:00 -0700
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:09 PM 8/9/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Totally in violation of the Human Interface Guidelines.
>
>Please is there not enough stuff popping up in our faces these days.

Wouldn't the act of clicking on an email link open the users mailer of
choice? I fail to see how adding some text to an already opened window
aggravates the issue... if your advocating *not* opening an email client at
all you have certainly picked a difficult row to hoe.

>If the name HIG does not bring up any thoughts look at modern TV, VCRs and
>other consumer goods and look how much easier they are to set up compared
>to old.  The HIG covers human machine interaction and was published in
>1988.  The HIG recommends strongly that items do not spring up in a users
>face without complete foreknowledge.

I imagine that clicking on a mailto: link would provide some sort of
foreknowledge, the other option would be to force the user to fill out a
form and in that case the subsequent redirect would be a new item. Six of
one, half dozen of the other.

I'm also curious about your HIG reference. A cursory Goggle search turns up
a Java HIG, a Mac HIG, a GNOME HIG, and a slew of others. Which one are you
referring to and why is it any more definitive than another?

I'm also unclear on the relevance of a pre WWW (CERN and Berners-Lee didn't
cook it up until 1991) guideline 15 years later. While possibly applicable
to GUI's most of todays users are fully conversant with a simple mailto,
we're not talking anything new or earth shattering here.

I would be far more concerned about guidelines and standards relevant to
the web than esoteric programmatic issues.