Re: what's in a (domain) name?

by Norman Bunn <norman.bunn(at)craftedsolutions.com>

 Date:  Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:24:30 -0400
 To:  "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>,
"cbirds" <cbirds(at)earthlink.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Just finished reading The GigaLaw Guide to Internet Law (Doung Isenberg)
and he addresses this issue in detail.  This is an evolving area of law,
but the criteria as I understand it (I am not a lawyer) are:

- the strength of the trademark
- the similarities of the parties' services
- the similarity of the trademark to the domain name
- evidence of actual confusion
- the degree of care likely ot be exercised by consumers
- the domain name registrant's intent on choosing the domain name

www.gigalaw.com has more details.

Norman Bunn
www.CraftedSolutions.com
803-405-1008