Re: Popup Killers

by Norman Bunn <norman.bunn(at)craftedsolutions.com>

 Date:  Fri, 09 May 2003 11:27:36 -0400
 To:  "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>,
"HWG Techniques" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>

I, too, use pop-ups as you note and have been concerned about pop-up
killers.  I have found that, in general, the default setting on pop-up
killers prevents the use of onLoad and onUnLoad, but not onClick (though
they can be configured to that level).  I was surprised to find out that
Earthlink's pop-up killer does come configured to stop all pop-ups.  Here
is their note from the popupblocker page:

Important Note: Not all pop-up windows are annoying ads. Sometimes when
you're visiting a Web site and click a link, it leads to a pop-up window
containing important information, such as forms, tables, or graphs. When
you wish to see these windows, press and hold the CTRL button on your
keyboard while you click the link. Doing so will stop the tool from
blocking this one window.

They also allow you to accept popus on a site-by-site basis.  I am assuming
other blockers are similar.

All that said, blockers will not stop me from using the pop-ups as I find
the control of window size and configuration quite beneficial.

Norman
www.CraftedSolutions.com