Re: Mailto: Forms

by Gary Krockover <gary(at)garykrockover.com>

 Date:  Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:40:38 -0500
 To:  "HWG" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Frances,

In the original "Matt's formmail", the redirect to the thank you page would
come with a hidden input in the form, such as (full url!):

<input name=redirect type=hidden
value="http://www.yourdomain.com/thankyou.html">

In fact, the script would balk and throw an error if that page was missing
instead of just showing a 404 error.

So, the action of the form is to the script with the full URL, such as:
<form action="http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi_bin/formmail.cgi" method="POST">

That redirect is then passed to the script and the script uses it to
forward the visitor to that page after the form is processed.  No need for
javascript and fancy onsubmit's.

There's no problem processing that form on another server as long as the
server with the script is set to expect the form from the other
server.  That is set in the script itself.  I have the syntax for the old
Matt's formmail, I'd have to see your version to tell you exactly what to
enter/change.

HTH,
GK