RE: Gecko and Mozilla

by "Christian Lavoie" <clavoie(at)enter-net.com>

 Date:  Tue, 2 Mar 1999 10:33:07 -0500
 To:  "HWG-Theory" <hwg-theory(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Hi folks,
>
> Just been reading an article on Gecko and Mozilla!  Full support for
> HTML 4.0 and CSS1 plus much more!?!
>

> What are peoples views?  Anyone used/using them?  How will they affect Web
> Authoring and documents on the Web and how long will it take for majority
> implementation?

I've looked at the 'demo' gecko when it was out a few months back. I'll
probably also take a look at a few dailysnapshots soon, so I may get back in
a week or two, if so you'd like...

Having used them, I can say it's lightning fast, small and everything you've
read. As for how it can affect Web Authoring:

I'll personnaly will now ONLY use web standards, and tell my viewers that
any glitches are coming from their buggy browsers. You canuse mozilla's
NGLayout (the part that does the displaying) under IE4+ (heh... what you
expected from open source things? =) and it will follow the W3C's standards.
There's no reason not to follow them now.

Majority implementation: Look at how fast Netscape 4 and Internet Explorer
spread upon their releases.... I'd say that if Netscape 5 is to become the
most used browser, we're talking about about 3 months, maybe a bit more.