Re: theory of advertising - ethics, banner ads, and my own dilemma

by "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Mon, 7 Sep 1998 20:21:32 +0100
 To:  "Anmar To" <amt(at)nuteknet.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>, "Dan" <puckett(at)nortel.ca>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Anmar To <amt(at)nuteknet.com> wrote:
>Oh, I doubt that! But how do you *like* to learn
>about new products?
>Say, the latest word processor or video game?

I learn about new products from many different sources, of course.
But they are always sources that I actively seek out. I
deliberately solicit information when I am ready for it. I don't
wait to stumble across it on an unrelated web site.

For example, I am interested in a variety of software tools.
Therefore:

    * I subscribe to a leading magazine. It reviews software. It's
a good magazine. I trust it. If they review a product that I think
is useful, I will contact the software company (maybe on the web,
maybe through a mailing address) and learn more.
    * Many of my friends share my interests. So I hear a lot of
recommendations through word of mouth.
    * I like Microsoft products, therefore I have placed myself on
their mailing lists.
    * I hear a lot of software recommendations on these HWG lists.
If I trust the knowledge and opinions of the poster, I look at the
products they recommend and try to learn more about them.

I am actively seeking information. More importantly, I am getting
it from places I trust. I am not finding it in a random place,
from a completely unverifyable source, while I am busy trying to
do something else.

As an example, I just visited www.yahoo.com . They are trying to
sell me a vacation.

A vacation? Why would I want a vacation? I'm trying to find some
information on the length of the Megalithic Yard. This is
important research. I don't have time to book my vacation. When I
do, I will visit a travel agent.

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk