Re: Entire site in Flash?

by "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Aug 1998 10:07:53 +0100
 To:  "jayse" <jayse(at)earthlink.net>,
"Mike Burks" <mburks952(at)worldnet.att.net>
 Cc:  "hwg-theory" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
From: jayse <jayse(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

>> I strongly recommend you take a look at www.useit.com.  I think you
will
>> find some things of interest there.
>
>Oye!! His site always reminds me of eating a stale Saltine minus the
>salt while you're baking your tennis shoe in anticipation of something
>better.

It reminds me more of mixing up a protein drink... you know it's going
to be bland but you don't care because you the best nourishment you
could ever give your body and you're going to SMASH that 400 pound mark
at the gym tonight :-)

>narrator's dry voice sounding like those scratchy 16mm science films
>from 7th grade.

But didn't you learn stuff in the 7th grade that you continue to use for
the rest of your life? Sure, at the time you wanted to cut school and
watch TV at home, but looking back now, boy are you glad you didn't...

>SURE the content's there!! SURE you'll get some nourishment from that
>ancient cracker... but blech!

Here's a "parable", or an analogy if you prefer: We have a popular
science program on British television, "Horizon" (you have an equivalent
in the States, "Nova"). Once upon a time I watched it avidly, never
missing a week. These days, I miss it more than I see it. I certainly
don't go out of my way to record it if I'm out that evening.

The reason? Somewhere down the line, "Flash" took over from science.
Instead of 60 minutes of information, we get 20 minutes of animation...
we get 10 minutes of artistic pictures of trees... we get 10 minutes of
watching the scientist in his kitchen... 10 minutes of the scientist
driving to work... and somewhere in all that we get 10 minutes of
science. So I don't watch it. I can't waste an hour of my life to get a
10 minute science lesson. I'll but a book and read it for 60 minutes
instead.

That's how I fell on viewing a lot a web sites... sure, there was plenty
of stuff there but WHY is it all there? Why did I have to wait for the
animated logo to download when all I really want to do is find out how
product x works?

Note: I also recommend www.useit.com

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk