Re: CSS Design Question

by Chuck Evans <chuck.evans(at)enduracorp.com>

 Date:  Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:18:54 -0800
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
You should post this to the HTML list. There have been many CSS discussions
there in the past few days that speak to many of your questions.

Here are some specific replies, though:

At 11:44 AM 1/13/98 -0700, Gabriele Endress wrote:

>When I create the underlying HTML page, should I keep everything (fonts,
>colors, etc) at default? If so then people with older browsers are going
>to see one heck of an ugly page ...

I'd say keep the underlying HTML plain, and don't worry about the ugly
pages. In a year, nearly everyone will be surfing with CSS browsers. Right
now, over 65% of the visitors to MY site use either IE3/4 or NN4, both
CSS-capable browsers.

If you must, you can just keep all your <font> tags where they are, and
they will be used in non-CSS browsers, but ignored in CSS browsers. But I
wouldn't go through the trouble of creating new HTML pages using <font>.

>How do you design a page properly so that it will "degrade gracefully"??

"Degrade" can mean two things: 1) Will your page still display on non-CSS
browers? Yes. 2) Does it retain all the little layout and formatting hacks
you made previously? Maybe, Maybe not.

>Up 'til now I was using tables for layout ... I'm still not entirely
>clear on how I design without tables, or are using tables for actual
>layout still permitted when using CSS?

You can still use tables for layout. It might also be recommended, as
support for the layout portions of CSS is buggy, not complete, and varies
among the CSS-capable browsers.

I stick to using CSS for type formatting right now.