Re: Front Pages

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:45:07 -0700
 To:  thefuggimator(at)geocities.com
 Cc:  Virginia Blalock <skatefan(at)visions.simplenet.com>, hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:11 p.m. 08/27/98 -0500, Jeffrey Frazier wrote:
>This when you go to this page, you are greeted with the equivalent of a
>printed magazine's cover page. There is a somewhat large graphic that
>gives information such as the title of the magazine, the issue number,
>and the cover story for the issue.
>    This image also, IMO, helps to set the tone for the magazine. It
>shows that the page isn't about happy things. In this case, I think
>there is a valid reason for the image. It isn't too awfully big (about
>35K) and it adds to the ambience of the page.

An extra 35K isn't much?

I'm curious why you're so tied to the physical magazine format, though.
The web isn't a magazine, and trying to make a website look and work
like a magazine (or a book, or a television show, or a radio program,
or a telephone call) seems misguided.  The magazine paradigm simply
doesn't work on the web.

BTW, I _do_ see a place for "warning pages" as opposed to "splash
pages" -- the fact that you use both, though, in getting to your
magazine make it that much harder to use, and more likely that people
will either give up, or simply bookmark your interior page.  I
know I would never bookmark a splash page!  Thus, I'd never see
your front page again, despite what "cover" you might put up to set
the mood.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California