Re: Splash Pages [was Front Pages]

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:28:34 -0700
 To:  mic(at)bton.com
 Cc:  "Byer, Mark" <mbyer(at)Carlson.com>, hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:03 a.m. 08/28/98 +0000, Mic Miller wrote:
>Have been following this thread and I _think_ no one has touched on this
>use of "splash pages":  they can be used to notify the reader that the
>Web page has moved and then automatically take the reader to the new
>location.

Why not just simply redirect them without loading a picture?  Why
load an extra 35K image just to redirect someone?  (In fact, with
most any webserver these days, you can redirect people _transparently_,
so you shouldn't need to worry about a meta-redirect at all!)

>Another possible use is to show status ("Loading now") which
>I'm using on a CD-ROM version of a Web site.  FWIW.

Funny, my browser does just fine at displaying "loading now".  That's
what the rotating e and/or N are for, and the little status bar at
the bottom.  With a splash page, I have to wait for something reading

Kynn Bartlett  <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California
For your user-defined stylesheet: .GeoBranding { display: none ! important; }