Re: Splash Pages [was Front Pages]

by Virginia Blalock <skatefan(at)visions.simplenet.com>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:18:53 -0500
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:28 PM 8/28/98 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 10:03 a.m. 08/28/98 +0000, Mic Miller wrote:
>>Have been following this thread and I _think_ no one has touched on this
>>use of "splash pages":  they can be used to notify the reader that the
>>Web page has moved and then automatically take the reader to the new
>>location.
>
>Why not just simply redirect them without loading a picture?  Why
>load an extra 35K image just to redirect someone?  (In fact, with
>most any webserver these days, you can redirect people _transparently_,
>so you shouldn't need to worry about a meta-redirect at all!)

Ok, I am showing ignorance I am sure, but.. redirecting people transparently?
I am about to move too my sites to one server and anything to make this
move easier for me and my visitors would be good. Feel free for anyone to
reply OFF list since this is not really appropriate for theory.. unless
there is a theory behind redirection methods.