Re: professionalism and wysiwyg

by Virginia Blalock <skatefan(at)visions.simplenet.com>

 Date:  Sat, 10 Oct 1998 14:16:02 -0500
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:49 PM 10/10/98 -0500, Jeffrey Frazier wrote:

[snip]
> On the
>other hand, it takes no money and about 3 good hours to d/l a decent web
browser.
>When the people out there have it that easy, why are we busting our butts
to adapt
>to their lousy browsers? It's not as if they don't know there's anything
better out
>there.

I know there are the sites that say "best viewed by" and things, but
unfortunately, for the mass general public, you are overestimating them. So
many folks get on the net today by AOL or Web TV or whatever that
practically does everything for them. Often they really DON'T know there is
something better out there!

>Also, I have heard people complaining about people who aren't able to run
>browsers because of their computers. That's a load of bull. The sys reqs for
>browsing software is very minimal. I can run any browsing software
perfectly well
>on my junky old 66Mhz.

True enough for the most part. However, you know how long it takes to load
pages when you have lower end computers?  Before I had my current computer,
I had a 486DX 4/100 which was not terrible, but with only 12 meg of
memory(and even less at one point) browsers don't exactly work great.
System requirements, though being low? I am not sure, especially for
optimum performance.

It is IMO just a tad elitist to think that everyone has what you have, can
get what you have, and screw anyone who doesn't when designing sites. Sure,
I would not go overboard in designing for the low end browsers, but I sure
would not have the attitude of "I am going to design for X and screw
everyone else." Especially when we're talking business sites, everyone has
money to spend.

Virginia's Visions
http://visions.simplenet.com