RE: Universal Accessibility

by Rob Wood <rwood(at)hypergold.com>

 Date:  Wed, 07 Feb 2001 13:45:01 -0800
 To:  allred(at)its.state.ms.us,
hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Interesting discussion, and the topic is one we wrestle with constantly, at
HyperGold. The questions of accessibility often answer themselves, however,
if the client firm knows the demographic makeup of its target market, and
what the typical user's equipment and connection speed is likely to be.
Without a clear profile of the intended user, there is no way to rationally
design the web site. Take rationality out of the equation, and you have a
prescription for disaster, as far as the web developer's business is
concerned. How will the client (and you) judge whether or not you were
successful in developing the site? Without clear definitions of the
intended market, the mission of the site (or of sections within the site)
cannot be accurately stated. Therefore, it becomes impossible to judge the
value of the work.

I begin all of my negotiations with potential clients by asking them to
define both the demographic makeup of the target audience, and the primary
and secondary missions of the site. I also explain the risks involved in
focusing on technology, rather than on content. Generally, form follows
function in our business. If the client wants to wrap an e-commerce
solution up in technology that taxes the intended user's connectivity and
computer power, then there has to be a powerful reason for doing so -- IF
the primary mission is to generate revenue from online sales transactions.
If, on the other hand, the primary mission is to impress people with
technology, and actually generating sales is secondary, then the design
parameters take a different course. With rare exceptions,  a web site will
not lose customers, or fail in its mission, because it uses simple and fast
content delivery methods.

Rob Wood
HyperGold

I'll close with this parting question as food for thought: