Re: Frames vs. Tables

by keller(at)amsoil.com (Kyle Eller)

 Date:  Tue, 2 Dec 1997 09:33:09 -0600
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Drew,

I said before that we can agree to disagree -- in retrospect it appears I
should have spoken only for myself <:-(. I respect your right to your
opinion, but since you took it upon yourself to misrepresent mine, I'll
correct it.

I did not claim that merely appearing in a tutorial made anything *good*
design. I challenged *your* calling valid (based on the specification) CSS
used in widely recommended techniques similar to those used in other media
*bad* design. I offered no opinion on whether the design was good or bad,
and in fact agreed that the *practice* was bad.

I did not say that *anyone* who writes a tutorial is an expert, only that
those I cited were written by experts (Jim Heid of Macworld, for instance).
You are free to disagree with my assessment.

I did *not* suggest writing anything that wasn't cross-platform, nor did I
state or imply that anyone was trying to write for one platform using CSS.
In fact I was pointing out that strict, valid CSS using the standard can in
some cases produce poor cross-platform results, and I recommended against
certain uses of CSS *for that reason*.

Anyway, thanks for restating your position, Drew. I only wish in doing so
you would've portrayed mine accurately.

Kyle
keller(at)amsoil.com
http://www.cp.duluth.mn.us/~eller/kyle/