Re: browser stats for developing countries?

by Gerhard Schoening <g.sch(at)onlinehome.de>

 Date:  Fri, 16 Aug 2002 18:28:36 +0200
 To:  owner-aware-techniques(at)hwg.org,
A M Thomas <am(at)virtueofthesmall.com>
 Cc:  aware-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

On Friday, August 16, 2002 at 15:42 A M Thomas wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to get information on computer and web browser
> capabilities in the less-economically-advantaged parts of the world?
> I'm hoping to get a good sense of what minimum capabilities I can, in
> clear conscience, design for, if I want my information to be truly
> world-accessible.  It occurrs to me that many developing
> countries may not have acquired computer technology until recently, but
> older computers may be out there too.  Of course bandwidth would be an
> issue most places - or would it?  I sent a note to the general info
> e-mail address on the Peace Corps web site, but I really have no idea
> how to proceed.

Someone on the webdesign-l.com list recently asked for
answers on the subject 'The state of the Internet in the dev
world'. The following links are taken from some of the
answers:

http://www.itu.int/ITU-D/ict/statistics/index.html

http://www.nua.ie/surveys/

http://www.unicef.org/ffl/

http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

--
HTH,

Gerhard

Gerhard Schoening:

Community & Portal Websites in PHP & MySQL
http://www.cp-web.com

Bilingual Web Design and Programming
http://www.schoening-online.com