Re: Use of ACRONYM

by "Charles F. Munat" <chas(at)munat.com>

 Date:  Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:03:37 -0800
 To:  aware-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I beg to differ.

An acronym is an abbreviation made from the first letter or first few
letters of multiple words *and producing a pronounceable new word.* MADD
is an acronym, CSS is not.

This is a useful distinction, especially for the purposes of
pronounciation using voicing agents. MADD should be pronounced like the
word "mad," but CSS should be spelled out, not said as "ksss." Sadly,
this is a distinction that is rapidly disappearing. Even the W3C has it
wrong, as do many modern dictionaries.

CSS is a type of abbreviation consisting of initials. Thus CSS are the
initials of Cascading Style Sheets, just as my initials are CFM. CFM is
not my acronym.

Two of the most widely cited acronyms are RADAR and SONAR. These come
from RAdio Detection And Ranging and SOund Navigation And Ranging,
respectively. In contrast, the intials for these devices would be RDR
and SNR. As you can see, initials and acronyms are not the same thing.

But I cannot possibly hope to convince everyone on the planet that this
distinction is worth preserving (or even that it exists). Barring a
pronouncement ex cathedra by the pope and an executive order from George
W, acronym seems destined to lose its distinctiveness. What a shame.

On other lists, we have been round and round on this subject on numerous
occasions and while many have seen the light, others simply refuse to
budge. Since we cannot come to agreement on this issue, perhaps we
should ensure that in any answer to this question, both positions are
mentioned.

Of course, acronyms and intials are both forms of abbreviation, so you
could simply use <abbr> for all of them.

Charles F. Munat
Seattle, Washington