Re: WAI Triple-A conformance critique

by Andrew McFarland <aamcf(at)aamcf.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 12 Oct 2002 19:21:01 +0100
 To:  Aware <aware-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 13:42 12/10/02 +0100, Mario Figueiredo wrote:
>[sorry about that previous post without a subject line]
>
>Hello all,
>
>I modified my website in an attempt to conform to
>Triple-A. After a check on Bobby
>(http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/html/en/index.jsp) I believe I have all
>it takes to apply.

Bobby is a useful tool, but it is not perfect. It should be used as a guide
rather than a ruling.

>However, I would much appreciate if you could double
>check the page and give me a second opinion.

There are a couple of things that jumped out at me.

The first is the use of div elements with classes instead of hx elements.

For example,

should probably be

<h1>A Small Introduction</h1>.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/wai-pageauth.html#tech-logical-headings

I also notices you use px and pt in your CSS for font sizing. This should
be avoided: http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/wai-pageauth.html#tech-relative-units

And I also noticed you are using HTML 4.01 Transitional.
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/wai-pageauth.html#tech-avoid-deprecated says
you should avoid use of deprecated features of W3 technologies. Switching
to HTML 4.01 Strict would mean that any use of deprecated features would be
automatically detected at validation.

Andrew

--
http://aamcf.co.uk/