RE: Why/How split Large Trans. Gif into tables?

by "Dale Hobart" <dalehobart(at)fsuimail.ferris.edu>

 Date:  Sat, 30 Oct 1999 08:19:47 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I have not seen a response to this yet so will give it a try.

There are a couple of reasons to split large graphics into multiple parts
and display them in a table. The first is to create the illusion that the
page is loading faster. As parts of the image quickly appear the end user
can see that something is happening and is less likely to leave the site.

The second reason is to create links with the graphic without using image
maps. Early on image maps were not reliable in all browsers and there were
two versions server side and client side and you could never be sure which
to code for so you had to do both. Subdividing the image and displaying it
in a table created graphic menus that worked no matter what.

With the advent of JavaScript the graphic in a table became even more
powerful and could be used as it is in the example page that you pointed to.
That page uses multiple graphic images for some parts of the table and
JavaScript is used to display the alternative color when the mouse is over
that portion of the graphic.

-
Dale Hobart
Manager Instructional Technologies