RE: Images and Norton Firewall

by "Help Desk" <help(at)pcbugfixer.com>

 Date:  Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:44:42 +1100
 To:  "Michelle Chabot" <mchabot(at)verizon.net>,
"Hwg-Basics@Hwg. Org" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'Day Michelle,

Yes I have NIS (Norton Internet Security) Pro (2001 to 2004) or
Premium (2005) on my system(s)
I think that it is possible that you are blocking yourself by bad
configuration in the fire wall.
To check this and help you, I need to know what version (Std or
Pro and what number, ie. 200? version) you have installed.
Most problems occur in NIS (Any Norton or other Firewall) is due
to Users being trigger happy, and clicking on "OK" in the
security warning popup window without reading the "Details" of
the warning.
By default, any warning will be "Blocked" - you now need to "Show
details" to see if the TCP detail is Outbound or Inbound and the
program that wants to perform this action.
Obviously any Operating System (Win 98, MR, 2k, XP system)
function should be allowed if it relates to the program we have
installed that also is part of the security warning TCP action.
Foremost is the actual installed program or other new function
(action) of a program that relates to the security warning and
action to allow it through the firewall before it works
correctly, this it may not do until you have allowed it and then
re-try the task. If done correctly, it will work on the second
attempt after allowing the .exe or other file action through the
firewall.
Other problem that occurs is that most Users fail to rescan the
'Programs" in the "Personal Firewall" -> Configure -> Programs to
set the program security in the first instant. So, do this, then
look for the new program and set it's firewall permission.
Next, you can also look in the 'Manual Program Control" window
(scroll up and down) and look for any program that is "Blocked" -
Normal "Internet Action" (column) settings are either Permit,
Automatic or Custom. any "Block All" will indicate the programs
or actions that you have blocked. - These you now need to
un-block (make sure you know that this is what you need to do)
the program or action by clicking on the little down arrow and
then on the required option in the popup window.
After performing any alteration, simply click on OK and exit out
of the NIS program, re-bbot the system and the program that was
blocked, should now function through the firewall without a hitch
!
? Need more help - let me know !
Regards Roger H.