Re: accessibility & PDFs [was: Re: Should I put people's info on the web?]

by "Ray T. Mahorney" <coffee_head(at)coastalnet.com>

 Date:  Sat, 28 Apr 2001 23:54:46 -0400
 To:  "Lady Wistfulee" <ladywist(at)bellsouth.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
From: "Lady Wistfulee" <ladywist(at)bellsouth.net>
To: <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2001 11:09 PM
Subject: accessibility & PDFs [was: Re: Should I put people's info on the web?]

[snip]
> > Try saving it out as a PDF file, and you'll keep all formatting and
> > fonts.  Seeing impaired people will be able to enlarge it without it
> > pixelating, and people can also download the newsletter to have a hard
> > copy for their files.[/snip]

Not exactly true.
PDF's are in essence graphics files, & not necessarily viewable by the
seeing impaired, only those whose seeing is poor, not those whose sight is
so impaired they use other ways to "view" the web..  Adobe makes a viewer
for the seeing impaired so that they can view PDF's (actually it's more of a
converter).
Here is the URL for Adobe's accessibility initiatives:
http://access.adobe.com/

my 2 centavos today,
Lady Wist