Re: IE 6

by "Ted Temer" <temer(at)c-zone.net>

 Date:  Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:11:54 -0800
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Come on you guys ....

Everybody has known all along that the new versions of Windows and the
machines they run on, coming out these days, have a lot of new goodies and
to fully utilize some of them will require upgrading of our applications.
Example: MMX or USB functions have little meaning unless the software is
designed to use them.

So too, the operating systems. Just as there was some real differences
between the Windows 3.2 (and earlier versions), and Windows 95--so too are
there big differences between Windows 95 and the later versions, (Windows 98
Second Edition, Windows 2000, NT, etc. etc.)

It was only natural that sooner or later, Microsoft would come out with a
version of Internet Explorer to take advantage of the new OS features.

But please keep it strictly in mind here that the Cnet article referred to
the OPERATING SYSTEM IE-6 would work under. It did NOT discuss what HTML,
CSS, etc. features it will--or will not--support.

Granted, there was some praise of user interface features but again--this
does not tell us much about what HTML tags it will support. As I read the
article, I got the impression that the new IE-6 is believed to go a step
farther in supporting more CSS and other "new stuff" than NN-6. After all,
it could hardly do otherwise and still work.

Over the next year or two, we are going to be seeing a whole bunch of new
applications from Microsoft and others that will no longer work in the "old"
Windows 95. Just like we saw a whole bunch of new applications that would
not work in Windows 3x.

And BTW, Considering the vast improvement of FrontPage 2000 over FP-98 when
it comes to setting it up to automatically set code compatible in BOTH NN-4x
and IE-4-5, one would suspect with at least some assurance--that FP 2002
will be even better.

After all--as I have many times pointed out--The FP discussion list does not
spend nearly as much time as we do in explaining to our newbee's, how to
code to overcome NN's shortcomings. The program does it for them.

And yes--my buddy Jack and I have already started a pile of cast offs
containing his 8086's, my old Apple 2 and Commodore 64-- and there is plenty
of room for the school teachers 386 laptops with Windows 95.

On the other hand--if one can stand the limitations--most of those old cast
off's I refer too, will probably still work--in their limited way--for years
and years.

But to flip the hand back--now that I have graphics programs that use MMX
and Art Tablets and Digital Cameras that use USB, I sure would not want to

Best wishes
Ted Temer
Temercraft Designs Redding, CA
temer(at)c-zone.net
www.temercraft.com/novels/
www.newsredding.com/
www.ramac-rc.org/

> At 11:34 AM 3/28/01 , Dennis Lapcewich wrote:
> >Fuzzy, now you got me thinking, too.
> >
> >I wonder how many webbies will jump on the bandwagon without looking,
> >download this BETA program and begin designing web pages for a browser
that
> >the vast majority of users will never use, only to complain later in web
> >design forums, "Gee it runs great in IE6Beta so why won't it work on
> >IE4,5,6?"
>
> YIKES !! Dennis. Good point! I'll bet the vast majority of Front Page 2002
> - that's who. And I'll bet there is a ~bunch~ of 'em.
>
> I interpreted what I read on that site to mean that even when IE 6 is out
> of Beta is's still not going to run on WIN 95, so at least for the
> educational (and other poor) folks, this is going to be a problem for a
> long time to come!
>
> :-)
> Fuzzy.
> <wondering if it's time to throw away the teachers 386 lap tops running
WIN