Re: Small website design . . . DTD Modification

by "Paul Wilson" <webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>

 Date:  Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:49:39 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Captain F.M. O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> This means the problem is NOT the DTD my friend, it means there is a
> compliance issue. By removing "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd" you
> have simply removed the reference the browser is using to render the
page -
> it is now *guessing* how to do it. That means bad things for (document)
> stability and predictability!!

> <REALLY hoping this isn't taken . . offensively>

Couldn't help yourself could you?  You want us to take offense because you
love rabble rousing. It's almost the only email we get from you anymore.

We TRY to do it their way and sometimes IT DON"T WORK!  There has been a
thread going for two days about the issue of NS6 putting in extra white
space on sliced images.  You can make code as compliant as you want but the
whitespace won't go away in NS6.  It's obviously a NS problem.

Not trying to be offensive myself, but I didn't hear another option out
there.  You almost never provide input on tough questions. You have a better
way for us to use slices?

I emailed Netscape months ago.  I also brought it up here and nobody replied
then. Look - we need solutions - not insolvable connundrums.  We need to be
productive creating what people want, not be slaves to ever shifting
standards. I have been doing this since before Netscape was even a company
and it's not a standard when it shifts like beach sand does after a storm.

I know.  I have been here creating web sites for many years and many ideas
have come and gone from w3c, but this standards thing has never stabalized.
The w3c writes standards and before the browsers have a chance to catch up,
there are two more standards out there to worry about.  It has been this way
since the beginning.

 What is the point?  Blindly following a moving target for a standard?
Heck, I'm an American - it goes against the grain to blindly follow a pack
of fools over a cliff.

Paul